Collecting baseline data
Collect qualification, referral, and selection data on previous hiring actions that used the same hiring authority. By accessing your baseline data, you can better evaluate your results.
To gauge the success of your hiring action, collect baseline data about recent hiring actions at your agency. If you plan a delegated examination (DE) pilot, you will want to collect data from past DE actions. You’ll compare this information with the results you receive when your new hiring action is complete.
For all your DE actions within the past one to two years for a similar GS level and series to the position you plan to fill, gather:
- Number of applicants found qualified: How many applications were considered qualified by an HR specialist.
- Number of applicants referred: How many applicants were referred to the hiring manager.
- Total number of selections: The number of selections made off of the resulting certificates, represented numerically and as a percentage of qualified applications.
Use our baseline data spreadsheet in order to request data from your Talent Acquisition System.
For USA Staffing customers, you can pull your baseline data by clicking the “Certificate Selection by Assessment Category” report in Cognos. It is located in the Team Content > USA Staffing Packages and Folders > Staffing Reports > Staffing > Certificate folder. To export the report, click the “…” symbol to the right of the report’s name, and select “Run As”. A menu will appear with options to run as Excel among others. The excel file will automatically download to the Downloads folder on your computer.
Measuring your process
To gauge the success of the hiring process, measure applicant flow through the process and confidence in the process.
- Hiring funnel: How many applicants progress through each phase.
- Level of burden: Have internal resources track their time: SMEs, HR, hiring manager, schedulers, project managers.
- Elapsed phase time: Track the start and end time for each phase.
Measuring your results
To gauge the success of your hiring action, measure applicant quality and the applicant pool.
- Selections: How many applicants make it onto certificates by category and how many applicants are ultimately selected by a hiring manager.
- Adverse impact: Track demographics of the applicant pool after each phase. Demographics include race and gender. Also, track eligibility data such as federal employees, Veterans, etc.
Measuring ultimate success
To gauge the ultimate success of your new hires, measure employee performance on the job and retention.
- Quality of performance on the job: Capture performance review ratings for new employees.
- Hiring manager satisfaction: Interviews with hiring managers after the first quarter, mid-year, and end of year performance evaluation of new hires.